Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Transformative Beauty: The Power of a Haircut

Growing up as twins, Sam and I got used to looking alike every day. Even though we are fraternal, my mom loved to dress us in identical outfits and, more important, identical hairstyles. In preschool, we always wore our hair in high ponytails.

image180

When Sam got bangs, so did I.

image161

When one of us wore a bow in her hair for school pictures, so did the other.

image183

For our piano recital, we both wore our hair half-up, which was, like, totally, the coolest way to wear your hair in first grade.

image193

In fact, we got so used to always having the same hairdo that we continued getting similar haircuts even after we started choosing our own hairstyles. Here we are rocking flipped-out bobs that we thought were the height of fashion.

image212

Eventually, however, there comes a time when you realize that having the same hairstyle as your twin sister is no longer as adorable as it once was. One of the amazing things about being a twin is that you have a built-in best friend to share everything with. But after Sam and I graduated from high school, we knew that sharing so much was actually holding us back from being seen as individuals. We were tired of people mistaking us for each other. So we decided to transform ourselves in one of the easiest (and most fun) ways we could -- we went for completely different hairstyles. In a moment of bravery (and after a lot of coaxing from me), Sam chopped off her hair, while I decided to let mine grow out. Here we are at a Halloween party in college.

198157_532703969903_5887_n

I continued to let my hair grow longer and longer. Here it is at its longest on graduation day.

grads

Meanwhile, Sam's hair got even shorter, and she started experimenting with hair color. She decided to see if blondes really do have more fun for a few months.

083

Afterward, Sam went red. She may not have been born with red hair, but I think we can all agree that she was born to be a redhead.

015

After college, I cut my hair a few times before letting it get really long leading up to my wedding so that I could wear an updo. Doesn't Sam make the most adorable maid of honor?

lauren-jared-wedding-119

After I got back from my honeymoon, I decided I was tired of all that hair. I cut my hair into a bob, and I haven't looked back.

2012-0417-5

Nowadays, strangers rarely realize that we're sisters, let alone twins. Transforming our hair into completely different styles has helped us become individuals rather than a single unit. It seems silly, but our haircuts helped solve one of the pitfalls of being a twin: not having your own identity. Of course Sam and I have a lot in common, but we really are very different people, and I think that our hair helps communicate that.

053

 This post is part of BlogHer's Transformative Beauty editorial series, made possible by Sonia Kashuk at Target.

5 comments:

Haley @ Carrots for Michaelmas said...

The pic of little you and little Sam with bangs is soooooo cute! Great post, Lauren.

nicole said...

Um, no fair - you girls never had an awkward phase OR a bad haircut?! ALWAYS so adorable you two. XO.

Lauren said...

Aw, thanks Haley!

Nicole--Ha! Notice how none of these pictures is from middle school? Yeah, we burned those.

twinmom said...

I love this post!! It brought back many fun memories that seem like they happened yesterday! Sorry I was a dorky twinmom who dressed you alike every day, but you have to admit, you looked pretty cute!!

Swati said...

so so cute! :)